What has changed?
- Irish Water will now be more dependent on exchequer funding than previously expected. This reduces the potential for increased capital expenditure on water, wastewater and transport infrastructure.
Positives for business
- The Government promises to ‘protect’ existing capex commitments, including water services and broadband, and to conduct mid-term review of the capital programme in 2017.
- The Government will seek to streamline the planning process.
- Better transport links to our ports and airports remain a priority.
- Ibec welcomes commitment to apply, in the first three months, to the European Union for the revision of the TEN-T CORE Network, including applying for the reinstatement of the cross-border Western Arc.
Outstanding issues and missed opportunities
- It is now unlikely that Irish Water’s debt finance can be moved off the national balance sheet.
- The artificial constraint on public-private partnership finance for new road projects has not been relaxed.
Contact Neil Walker, Infrastructure policy at firstname.lastname@example.org